Monday, October 8, 2007

Mind Overloaded!

There are no lights in office and the UPS is now drained. Obviously, the work’s come to a standstill. So for the first time, I am listening to songs randomly, without selecting, without even reading the name of the song. Somehow when I listen to a song without explicitly selecting it or knowing the name, I enjoy it. Normally I would just look at the name and flip to the next. Why does this happen? Is it because the unknown fills you with anticipation and you listen to it more carefully or is it simple acceptance of the song that plays? When you have a choice, you keep flicking on ahead thinking that you will find a song that you enjoy more than the current one. Either way, I end up listening hardly to a song or two; neither of which I enjoy fully because while listening to the song, one part of my mind is furiously working to determine what to play next. Instead of enjoying what’s playing currently, it becomes a race to keep finding a better option to play next.

I guess this is what happens in life too.

Instead of fully, completely and unreservedly enjoying and absorbing the present moment, I keep planning the future; something as simple as what I should do after the song is over to what I should do in the evening, what I should cook at night, how long I should continue with this job, what do I do next, what is my goal in life…the list is endless. My mind is constantly restless - planning, thinking, worrying, erasing and restarting. Whew!

Its important to plan agreed, but the planning is not the all-consuming focus. A tentative plan to avoid a spread like an amoeba and then totally giving oneself to the moments that come – that’s what liberates you and lets you be one with every moment. Like now, when I am appreciating the lyrics, the music, every single word of the song that’s playing. I have discovered that some unnoticed songs have the most amazing lyrics. Who knows how many such more discoveries I hit upon?

Do you have the same experience?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hehe, i agree with you. i make a playlist and the can't wait to get to the last song. thats just the symptom though :(

Manasi said...

aho, wandering thoughts. blog update karaychi vel jhali ata